Day 3, The Tretyakov State Art Gallery and Kolomenskoe Estate

The Tretyakov State Art Gallery imageThe Tretyakov State Art Gallery

Come on a guided tour to the Tretyakov State Art Gallery, one of the two largest collections of Russian art. The other (we are not talking about sizes!) is the Russian Museum in St. Petersburg. The Collection of Russian Painting Masterpieces and ancient icons is the grandest of its kind.

Church of the Ascension in Kolomenskoe,  UNESCO World Heritage Site imageChurch of the Ascension in Kolomenskoe, UNESCO World Heritage Site

Kolomenskoye is a former Royal estate located in the southern part of Moscow. Since 15th century, Kolomenskoye served as a summer country residence for the Grand Dukes of Moscow and Russian Tsars. The most significant attraction is the Ascension Church, which is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage monument.

The Wooden Palace of Kolomenskoe imageThe Wooden Palace of Kolomenskoe

The wooden palace of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich with 270 rooms decorated with paintings and carvings was built in 1667 without using any fasten materials, nails or hooks. It consisted of 26 buildings connected with each other by passages and halls. The whole complex was divided into male and female parts. The male part included ceremonial chambers, chambers of the Tsar and of his sons, while the female part belonged to the Tsarina and to the Tsar’s daughters.

Cathedral of Christ the Saviour imageCathedral of Christ the Saviour

End the day in front of Cathedral of Christ the Savior. The current church is the second to stand on this site. The original church, built during the 19th century, took more than 40 years to build. It was destroyed in 1931 on the order of Soviet leader Joseph Stalin. The demolition was supposed to make way for a colossal Palace of the Soviets to house the country's legislature, the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. Construction started in 1937 but was halted in 1941 when Nazi Germany invaded the Soviet Union during World War II. Its steel frame was disassembled the following year, and the Palace was never built - but the outdoor pool was. Following the dissolution of the Soviet Union, the current church was rebuilt on the site during 1995–2000.

Questions? Call now:+61 2831 0 7667|e-mail us
© 2016-2018 Discovery Russia. All rights reserved.AUSTRALIA, SYDNEY ABN: 39616347150